Confronting the In-Laws
Oh, the dreaded meddling in-laws! While I’m sure they have great hearts in wanting to offer up their opinions to their daughter or son, sometimes they need to learn to respect the boundaries of their adult child’s marriage and family life. But unfortunately, some family members cross those lines. This is what one wife is dealing with in her marriage. Here’s her story…
My husband’s parents are very against mine and my husband’s decision to keep having children. We dread telling them every time I get pregnant because they’re so hurtful and out of line. When we told them I was pregnant with #3, they said we have to stop having children because of our eldest’s “disability,” (she has Autism.) We’re pregnant with #4 now and my husband doesn’t want to tell them at all. I feel he needs to take a direct approach with them and tell them to keep their comments to themselves but he’d rather ignore their phone calls until after the baby is here. What do you think we should do?
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Genesis 2:24
Got a question for me? Here are the guidelines…
- Keep your message short and sweet because you only have 90 seconds to record your question.
- Please leave your name and where you’re from. If you’d like to remain anonymous, you can say you’re Sue from Oregon even though you’re really Jane from California! Yeah, I’m sly like that. I’ve got you covered, sister!
- If applicable, please let me know if your husband is a believer or not.
- Only ask one question per recording. If you have another question, please record another message.
- Rude, offensive, and snarky questions will not be addressed. They will be deleted, thank you very much!
For more podcast episodes and to subscribe to our show, you can do so here.
Live a poured out life for Christ,
Fantastic!!! Thank you both, Jolene and Eric.
How I wish I found this a year ago. I have very controlling in-laws have always caused stife in my marriage. Yet my husband has always avoided confronting them. This summer he allowed them to build a house in our front pasture. Now I can no longer leave my home without a call from them asking what I’m doing. They are controlling our entire lives and we are miserable. Yet my husband is still afraid to stand up to them. His mother quotes the honor your parents line often. And tells him he will die young for disobeying them. I wish he could listen to this everyday until it sinks in.
Comments are closed.