How to Share the Word of God with Others
Believe it or not, one of my favorite topics to discuss with another woman is ministry. I’m sure you’re surprised by this seeing that I write mainly on marriage here. But I write on marriage because my heart is to bring you the Word of God so your marriage can make an impact for Christ!
So today I want to talk about how to share the Word of God with others- those who are saved and unsaved.
Personally, I’ve always thought the Gospel message was a pretty simple message. Goodness, if someone as dumb and prideful as me could have given their heart to the Lord, then I think anyone can!
For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures. 1 Cor. 15:13,14
Christ died for our sins. He was buried. And He rose again on the third day. Simple, right? What is truly hard for an unbeliever is bowing and surrendering their life to Christ. The issue is not that they’ve heard a complicated message. The issue is what are they going to do with the message they’ve heard. Will they or will they not surrender their life to Christ? That is THE question!
Now, in walks you on the scene of their life. God has placed you in a position to influence and impact their life to draw them toward Jesus Christ! But you might be wondering how? Yep, I’ve had those same thoughts time and time again in my own life, so let me share with you a few pointers I’ve learned over the years.
8 Ways to Share the Word of God with Others
- Show interest in them. Be their friend, (just make sure they’re not influencing your towards ungodliness.) Jesus didn’t show up on the scene condemning a sinner, rather, He took interest in the person’s life. He brought grace and truth.
- Be genuine and transparent. I’ve yet to meet a woman who enjoys being around another woman who puts on a show to make her life look like she’s got it all together. No woman has a perfect life and no one likes a fake person. Be real with people, but also learn to be discreet.
- Don’t be afraid to share your love for Jesus Christ with others. When you have conversations with others, don’t leave Christ out of the conversation. He’s your Lord, and He’s the reason why your life looks so attractive to the outside world.
- Share your testimony/why you gave your heart to the Lord. Don’t be afraid to share how God pulled you out of the pit you were in. Everyone loves a success story and when a person gives their heart to Jesus Christ you are now giving the unsaved or hurting soul hope which is only found in Christ.
- When people are hurting, point them to Jesus even if you don’t know the exact scripture references. Just so you know, I’m not a walking Bible where I can just speak out a Bible verse at any given moment. I know a general area of where the verse is found, i.e, old testament or new testament. Or maybe I know a specific verse is found in, let’s just say the books of Romans, but I certainly don’t know the exact reference for every verse I’ve read. What I typically do when I’m speaking with someone, is I’ll say, the Bible says this. Or the Bible says that. Obviously if I’m giving a message to a group of women, then I do my research and pull up the exact scriptures. I do the same when I’m writing a blog post or recording a video or podcast.
- When conversing about life and why you do what you do, let them know the Bible is the authority of your life. Your aim in life is to live in such a way that is pleasing to Christ. It is why you make certain decisions that are contrary to the world.
- Let your witness (the way you go through this life with all of the ups and downs) speak about the goodness of Jesus Christ. Your patience, grace, forgiving heart, peace, hope, etc. are qualities found in the Believer’s life because your have the power of the Living God within you. These virtues are not common in the world today and thus, who you are and how you deal with your circumstances and relationships are very attractive to a lost or aching soul. Ultimately, your witness will draw others closer to the Lord, that is, if it’s a good witness.
- Try not to act like a Pharisee. An unsaved or saved person will not be drawn to someone who makes them feel like they are not measuring up to God’s standards. (Don’t ask me how I know this.) Our heart’s motive should be to influence and encourage others to draw closer to Jesus Christ, not push Him further away from them.
The key to sharing the Bible is this…don’t allow your fear of not knowing enough of the Word of God to keep you from sharing the Word of God. You know enough. If you didn’t, you would not have given your heart to Jesus Christ.
And the beauty of stepping out of your comfort zone when you share the Word is that you’ll learn the Word. You can’t teach what you don’t know. When someone has a question that you can’t answer, show humility and tell them you don’t know the answer but you’ll search the scriptures and get back to them. This little exercise will deepen your faith and help you to grow in your understanding of the Bible.
What are some areas that God is calling you to share your faith with others? What are your fears in doing so? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Share in the comments.
Live a poured out life for Christ,
I guess what makes me hesitant is not knowing if im going to offend them, or if it is too weird to bring up? How do you bring it up in a casual conversation? Especially if that person is another religion? I hate feeling embarrased! Really i do, i pray and ask God for his boldness and courage so that i may discuss him among sinners
No matter what happens, just let God speak for you. It is their responsibility to receive it or not. You just obeyed the Lord. I hope this one helps. I let the Holy Spirit speak for me. God bless you and don’t forget that you are unconditionally loved by God forever.
I’m worried I won’t be able to give answers to all of their questions. I also feel like a not good enough Christian.
I suggest that before you share the Word of God, you must cleanse yourself first, ask for forgiveness, and then let God speak for you. Do not be afraid. God bless you 🙂
Thanks! I really like 2 and 3! And I believe in both. and I am that woman that does not like when others pretend they have it all together because none of us really do.. I am just like everyone else, I hope, trying to enjoy life and am thankful to God for what he has blessed me with.Truly thankful and in Awe with what he is doing for me and my family. But sometimes I find myself not wanting to share my life with others because I can tell they don’t want to hear it, as if they don’t care. I sometimes am reluctant to share my happiness and at times feel guilty in life because I don’t want others to feel bad or I seem boastful and don’t want to offend anyone. I am always considering the other person and many others never really consider me you know. this was a really good reading.
Glad you enjoyed it. Just be yourself and share what you know, Lashelle.
Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand
for the bible said in the book of John 14v6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way,the truth,and the life:no man cometh unto the Father,but by me.
the bible said that in the book John 3v3: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily,Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. john 3v4: Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? john 3v5 Jesus answered, Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Romans 6v 23 for the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 8 v 1 THERE is therefor now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit. Romans 8 v 2 : for the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Thanks for sharing.
Hi jolene, I have to share with my church that I attend why they can not let there fears get in the way of leaving others clueless about christ. I would really appreciate your help on how I can do that.
Good evening Jolene, (or should say good morning given the time 1:40am!)
What an amazing blessed gift you have Jolene in capturing my attention & interest!
You come across as a ‘very real’ ‘this is me’ kinda woman to you style of approach.
I am a volunteer for Safe Families for Children Christian Organisation in reaching out to families who may be struggle to cope, parenting support , isolated, low self esteem etc.
I am a Christian and I whole
heartedly believe & carry out the love of Jesus Christ is being me, genuinely wanting to be warm, kind, help make families feel they do matter, praise, support & encourage etc (I this bit sounds like I’m applying for a job or something!)
What I was trying to get to the point that, showing the love & kindness of Christ.
Almost from the onset I happily & confidently share I’m a Christian & being a volunteer I hope I can at least help one positive change in their family circumstances.
I have some diverse person friendly handouts that gives non Christian & Christian families a flavour of our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ.
Even if I’m able to sow a seed into lives &/or ultimately helped them make a commitment & acceptance of Christ in their heart!
You’re absolutely right Jolene about being open, honest, genuine and just being you with Christ shining through!
We all like to be encouraged, praise, made to feel we count, we have a sense of belonging.
In sharing (giving testimonies) of how Christ has brought you & your family through some pretty scary times & how He helps us to cope better with His love, reassurance & genuine card how I feel. This shows how real you are, I do.
I hope this has been of some encouragement to someone.
Blessings in Christ
Thank you for sharing, Liz!
Comments are closed.