As I was growing up through elementary and jr. high school I was literally kicked out of the group of friends I hung out with. It certainly was a painful experience for a young kid. I hung out by myself and the insecurities in my mind grew like weeds.
When I came to Christ I read about the family of God.
Hmmm, how do I get connected to this family?
I wanted to be close to another person. Someone I could hang out with. And someone I could have fellowship with. But I didn’t know how to do this.
So, that’s when I read a book on how to be a friend.
“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you. Matthew 7:12 NASB
And so that’s what I did. I reached out to others and I included them into my world. And for the record, it wasn’t easy to come out of my shell, in fact, it still isn’t. However, I am part of a family, the Body of Christ, and because of this I’m compelled to reach out to others. Our beautiful and perfect Savior just LOVES it when His kids all get along and support one another!
7 Ways to Become a Friend
- Pray to be the type of friend that Jesus would like you to be.
- Pray for the type of friend that Jesus would like you to have.
- Join a Bible study or serve at your church so you can meet other like-minded women.
- Don’t be afraid to extend your heart to another.
- Invite them into your world. Make it simple at first and go to a park with the kids if you have little ones around.
- Meet for a cup of coffee.
- Offer to help them.
I’m linking up with: