I’m going a little rogue today from my typical posts on marriage. I generally don’t do a whole lot of book reviews on my site because of the time factor involved since I actually do read the books I promote here!
(Some of you have even emailed me asking if I’d share your books with my readers but I’m just not able to share all of them for a few reasons. I either can’t commit my time to reading it, or I don’t feel it’s the best fit for those that I minister to here at The Alabaster Jar. I do wish though that I had an abundance of time because all of the authors that have contacted me are very much about having a Christ-centered message to their books! So I do apologize that I can’t get your message out. :()
So this brings me to today’s post. It’s a review on a book that I’m very excited about sharing with you. It’s written by Sheila Wray Gregoire and when I think about Sheila’s message to wives, it’s generally about sex (not all her posts, but a good chunk of them) and while I’m in full agreement to what she writes because her message is definitely needed, I feel like the message God has me bringing to the wives here at The Alabaster Jar is at the complete opposite side of the spectrum of what Sheila shares. I tackle issues of the heart and mind of a wife so the marriage could flourish, and so a wife will want to have sex with her husband like she once did!) I do this because having sex doesn’t always solve all the issues in one’s marriage. It definitely improves the marriage a great deal and it can alleviate, as well as, prevent issues, but it doesn’t always solve issues like bitterness, feeling unheard and/or unloved by your man, or the lack of respect you may feel towards him, etc.
But both messages need to be given and put in place in order to have a glorious marriage!
So the two sides of the spectrum are coming together today like peanut butter and jelly! Or maybe I should say a delicious brownie with milk! I’d prefer that combination over PB & J any day!
I must say that I think Sheila’s book 31 Days to Great Sex for Married Couples, was absolutely fabulous! Really, I can not sing enough praises for this book and it’s not the first book I’ve ever read on sex from a Christian perspective.
- Overcoming prior sexual sins or abuse. I gotta tell you, I was so blessed that Sheila went there regarding this topic because it does play out in a woman’s mind and it can certainly wreak havoc in the marriage bed. I know many of you are waiting for me to write about how I got over my past sexual sins. I will get that post out at some point, but in the meantime, Sheila shared the exact verses that I clung to to help me overcome my guilt and shame so my marriage was not negatively impacted by my prior lifestyle before I came to Christ.
- When a woman is slow to respond sexually (and how to help her respond and actually enjoy the act of marriage). There’s all sorts of sub-topics within this one. Topics range from having a lower sex drive to how sex is a mental thing for women. Oh yes it is! I personally think sex for a wife is a 90% mental thing with the physical aspect being the other 10%.
- Hitting the reset button on your sex life. Perhaps yo
ur marital intimacy has become rather stale or lacking all together. Sheila addresses this issue and gives you some practical how-to’s to overcome this problem.
- Parenthood and sex. Yep, parenthood, rather, motherhood could suck the sexy right out of your marriage! She’ll give you ways to combat this. Remember, you’re a wife first! It’s one of the reasons why I don’t address motherhood on my site as much as I do about being a wife! If you can get the wife thing down, motherhood will be much easier because you’ll be parenting with your man rather than feeling alone in the journey.
- Dealing with pornography/affairs and the lack of trust that comes with these two beasts.
- And more!
And she does all of this while giving you a daily challenge to put in place so your marriage can benefit from the advice being offered. (It’s one thing to read the advice and it’s another thing to put the advice into action.)
- Days 1-8: Turning Sex into Something Positive
- Days 9-12: Laughter (Emotional Intimacy)
- Days 13-20: Making Sex Feel Wonderful (Physical Intimacy)
- Days 21-25: True Oneness in the Bedroom (Spiritual Intimacy)
- Days 26-31: Keep the Momentum Going!
Here’s what Sheila says about 31 Days to Great Sex:
Here’s why I’m passionate about sex:
God created sex to unite us on three levels–physical, spiritual, and emotional. When we feel truly intimate on those three levels, our marriages soar.
And that’s when we’re able to impact our churches and communities for Him.
But if we’re not connecting in our marriages, we lose out on a great strength that God gave us in this life. And we threaten our families and our children’s future.
The church doesn’t like to talk about sex, and so we leave it to our culture. And our culture has turned it into something perverse and disgusting.
I’m not willing to stand for that anymore. I think the church needs to step up and fight back and start redeeming sex.
And that’s what this ebook does. It takes couples through exercises about improving their communication, their friendship, their outlook on sex, and yes, even the mechanics of sex, so that their marriage can rock!
If you’ve got a great marriage and sex life…
You’ll still benefit from reading this book! Sheila gives some creative and fun ways to add a little sparkle to your marriage bed. 😉
If you feel your marriage and intimacy life is somewhat bland, routine or mediocre…
This book will help your marriage to flourish and move to a deeper level of intimacy. It’ll help you from viewing sex as obligatory to something you’ll want to actually do with your man. And that, my friend, is a great place for your marriage to be!
If your marital relationship has become somewhat platonic or you feel neglected (in other words, you’re not having sex or you avoid it at all costs)…
This book will give you some ways to overcome past hurts, mistakes, and simple ways to reconnect with your spouse.
If you’re willing to grow, no matter what state your marriage is in, the advice offered in this book could make your marital oneness blossom!
So, buy the book! In fact, you can buy the book as a Christmas present for your man. I’m sure it’ll bring a nice smile to his face, especially if you handed it to him while you’re dressed in some pretty lingerie. 😉
To win a copy of this book, just enter into the raffle below! Or you can buy it now here. If you win the raffle and you’ve already bought it, Sheila will send you a copy of The Good Girl’s Guide to Great Sex, which is a more expensive book.
Live a poured out life for Christ,